Anphillia Exodus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anphillia Exodus

NWN 1 Faction roleplay PW using CEP v2.3

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vista is Total Shit

Go down 
+6
Procyon
Drowess-
Aethra
Rann Cora
Cryptic
Lollypop Guildmaster
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Lollypop Guildmaster

Vista is Total Shit Empty
PostSubject: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 5:27 pm

Does anyone know how in the name of sweet merciful hell I can start NWN in a surefire way on a comp that uses Vista? I literally have to start it 5-17 times on the off chance that it doesn't shut itself down after the Atari clip.
Back to top Go down
Cryptic
Staff

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 5:38 pm

I recall having this problem but can't remember what I did.

Try disabling the starting movies and have it open in windowed mode. Quick google search tells you how to do this.
Back to top Go down
Rann Cora

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 5:39 pm

Make sure you're running it as an admin.
Back to top Go down
Aethra
Staff
Aethra

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 7:02 pm

Yes in nwn.ini, go to the [Display Options] heading and either change/add this line:
Disable Intro Movies=1

This also helps...
AllowWindowedMode=1
Back to top Go down
Drowess-

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 7:37 pm

Also, have you tried direct connecting to Anphillia from your desktop?

It might help as it bypasses everything before the "Login to multiplayer" phase.

Create a shortcut to NWN on your desktop, then open its properties. Where it says "target" put in your nwmain.exe directory, then on the end add the IP address of the server, with the port on the end (copy it directly from Frosties thread)

Then in the "start in" line, input your nwmain.exe directory.

That is all from memory, so if it doesn't work, there are guides on google that can help more than I probably did Razz

Also, are you running nwn in compatibility mode? Right click nwmain.exe and go to properties, then you can choose to run it in a compatibility mode for an earlier version of windows.
Back to top Go down
Procyon

Procyon

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 9:48 am

Yes, put the admin properties on and then make a... uhh... what is it called that you make an image of an exe-file... what ever just put nwmain on the desktop and it should work just fine. Atleast it works with me although it always asks me to aprove it. Anyhow it should work. I haven't figured how to make nwloader to work on Vista. I just gave up on that one.
Back to top Go down
Lollypop Guildmaster

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! Very Happy

Running it as admin misses as often as when I don't. I also tried going into properties to run it in Windows XP compatibility with the same results.

As for nwn.ini, is it this one? (I see no option to show file extentions...)

After doing this, it started in fullscreen mode, then crashed during the movies when I clicked to stop them. So, wrong file? And where is .ini if that's the case?

Last edited by Lollypop Guildmaster on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cryptic
Staff

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 3:29 pm

Yes, that's the file.

Try turning FullScreen=1 ---> FullScreen=0
Back to top Go down
Procyon

Procyon

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 3:50 pm

From your screen shot it's the nwmain.exe file. Just just move your cursor 2 icon up. Just below the nwloader.exe file. I never had to do anything else then just add the awesome admin powers and double-click on the nwmain.exe file. That's it for me atleast.
Back to top Go down
Rabidus

Rabidus

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Try running it in XP service pack 2 compatability mode and disable shiny water
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Server Admin
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 11:08 pm

I never had any problems with Nwn on Vista, its what i've used for months now ^^;
Back to top Go down
https://anphillia.forumotion.com/
J. Persinne
Staff

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 5:07 am

Vista seems fussy; on some systems it works just fine, and on others, it simply refuses to.

On the first Vista system I worked with it completely refused to boot the game. Until one day when suddenly it worked just fine and it had no further problems. I hadn't changed my software configuration at all. I guess it just finally decided it felt like being less of a pain.

On my current Vista configuration it runs nwmain.exe all right, though it's a bit slow and it crashes a bit more than I'd like. I can not, however, run DM client without right clicking and running the program with administrator privileges.

Vista is an odd beast and I hate it. Some people don't mind it as much, and to them, I can only say they're lucky.

But what can you do? Wink
Back to top Go down
Cryptic
Staff

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 5:10 am

J. Persinne wrote:
But what can you do? Wink

Take hostages - kill one every hour until your demands are met.
Back to top Go down
Rann Cora

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 8:21 am

Make sure you're bypassing the nwloader.exe and going straight to the nwmain.exe when you're running as an admin.
Back to top Go down
Dalsok
Staff

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 11:03 am

uhm, have you disabled that... gosh, short term memory... That thing that pops up everytime you try to run a program? That fixed it for me....
Back to top Go down
Cryptic
Staff

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 11:17 am

Ah good point. That's prolly what fixed it in the end for me. Razz

Listen to Dal!
Back to top Go down
Lollypop Guildmaster

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 2:38 pm

I always run it as admin, to no avail there. Starting from nwnmain works; but only if I open the C drive, then go into NWN. If I copy nwnmain to desktop and start it from there, it fails. The exact same file, mind you.

I did what you guys suggested about the Config file. It stopped playing the movies but despite adding AllowWindowedMode=1 and changing the other one Cryptic mentioned to have it not in full screen, it runs in full screen. But at least I can start it now!

Thanks!

I maintain that Vista is shit, though.
Back to top Go down
Procyon

Procyon

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 2:57 pm

Don't copy it to the desktop, make a shortcut.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vista is Total Shit   Vista is Total Shit Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vista is Total Shit
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Anphillia Exodus :: Anphillia OOC Forum :: Off Topic-
Jump to: