Anphillia Exodus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anphillia Exodus

NWN 1 Faction roleplay PW using CEP v2.3

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Shifting and you

Go down 
+2
Lollypop Guildmaster
FrostWolf
6 posters
AuthorMessage
FrostWolf
Server Admin
FrostWolf

Shifting and you Empty
PostSubject: Shifting and you   Shifting and you Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 4:24 am

A few commonly asked questions (Atleast towards my person whilst i DM) are being answered here. Thanks Thonil for the help. If you have any more questions about Shifters or if you feel they are less than they should be. Tell us about it here and we'll answer with our thoughts and opinions about how things are. - Lets roll!

"Why does not shifter count as -anything- towards the specific item levels, all the other classes do, why have you decided to ditch shifters?"

Classes count towards stuff as a matter of balance, not because of fighters are in fact a more melee orientated class. Shifters dont need the bonus's, since they have many already assosciated with their forms. With base classes, or more druid, you have access to stuff if you want too, but you wont have as much 'shifter' then, which would make DC abilitys lower. You cant have everything!

"If you decide to go pure with one class you usually get a -pure- class bonus, what is a pure shifter?"

Thats not strictly true, most things dont have an assosciated pure bonus with them - but for going more shifter, you get better DC's on your abilities and more bonus feats!. Also 30 shifter would be pure shifter - as much as you can go is considered pure.

"We want shifter weapons!"
Well, actually the generic shifter has access to awesome weapons - in fact a shifters weapon choice is much broader than other peoples.

Since Shifters dont have to worry mostly, about weapon enhancement, they can just grab damage or stats, or saves off of a weapon - which combined with their shifted weapons makes their damage output alot higher than an ordinary melee'es. A few things to keep in mind are:

*War fans are awesome
*As are whips
*Or the cep tridents in condors

"My shifter cant heal!"
Well they can heal better than a pure cleric if they shift into lizard, though other than that you have to rely on your team - yes this is not an "i can solo everything" server, you do require teamwork at times. Have a friendly Cleric with you on your travels and you'll be set.

Also Taric (Cleaven Shifter) has like near 40 regen / round in his construct shape. He could go demonflesh and get nearly 70 regen / round

"Make shifters more Versatile!"
Versatile doesnt really work in PvP, it works wonders in PvE though. Like Taric went to condors with Kasumi, spent some of the time tanking as construct, went lizard to heal spam kasumi when he couldnt tank stuff he went wyrmling to kill the crabs with bolts

"Shifters are underpowered"
Actually, they are not. We have had and still have quite a few Shifters around Exodus that where/is awesome. It all boils down to one simple thing "The Build". Remember, we are trying to hold a balance here on Exodus, just because (Im sorry to say this) you are a bad builder does not mean we are going to empower the said class - if we did that then those people that have those awesome builds i mentioned earlier will become extremely overpowered instead. Thus having a problem with such issues.

You can either focus on being really good with one form and sacrifice the others or try and use each shape for diffrent situations. Below here is a list of all the shapes and what they have:

*Wyrmling: Bolt / High damage with kukri / True seeing
*Harpy: Bard song / Curse song / Mass haste
*Gargoyle: Very high piercing resist
*Minotaur: Very high damage and decent ab (With Divine Power)
*Basilisk: Epic Form has true seeing, stone gaze good for low fort things
*Drider: Honestly not that usefull
*Manticore: Touch Attack Spikes (More / Higher damage with shifter level)
*Drow Warrior: Ranged Shape
*Lizard: Healing spam + On Hit Dispel weapon
*Kobold: Good for anyone with low detect

*Tiger: True strike, epic form has a charge
*Medusa: Snake swarm summon, stoneskin and such
*Mindflayer: Good for anything with low will
*Risen: High damage with scythe, good dr
*Wraith: KD immun, good for anyone with low detect
*Vampire: Good regen, good for people with low will, good for PvE (With domination cone)
*Raksasha: Castable real true seeing on self, spammable dispel, spammable ice storm, *immunity to spells of 8th and lower

*Azer: High damage, fire resist, hard to resist abilities
*Death Slaad: 30% increased speed, good damage
*Construct: Crit immune
*Demonflesh: Very High Regen
*Iron: Very high physical resist
*Stone: Very high elemental / supernatural resist
*Dragon: Very high ab, high damage, good pulse / breath attacks - dragon shape has higher ac / ab / damage than every other melee'er and is a hell of alot tougher to kill

Last edited by FrostWolf on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://anphillia.forumotion.com/
Lollypop Guildmaster

Shifting and you Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifting and you   Shifting and you Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 8:42 am

About shifter healing: You can access it in the radial menu, going to any of the class abilities, and they will each (all of them except shifter, ironically) have a subradial option called Hair Shirt of Ilmater. This heals based on your WIS score, and a WIS-based shifter can heal more than a cleric with Healing Domain, twice per day.

Also, drider is supposed to be a dispel spammer, but that's made obsolete if you have Outsider Shape. Kobold and Specter also receive Hide in Plain Sight, which is pretty useful!
Back to top Go down
Miins

Shifting and you Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifting and you   Shifting and you Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 3:11 pm

Shifters are good, they are actually alot better then last time I played them.

But the durations of ceartain shifter abilities are somewhat confusing. The true seeing, the shadow shield as exampels.

What are they based on?
How long are the durations?
Do I get longer duration as my shifter level increase? or are they static?
Back to top Go down
Lollypop Guildmaster

Shifting and you Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifting and you   Shifting and you Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 6:31 pm

True Seeing and Shadowshield seem to be cast at innate level, which is actually lower than the scrolls/spell items of the same spell. Same for Minotaur's Divine Might, and I think the Harpy's Mass Haste. That much is a bit disappointing - Lizardfolk's Aura of Vitality is cast at caster level 40, though.
Back to top Go down
Rann Cora

Shifting and you Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifting and you   Shifting and you Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 8:26 pm

If I remember correctly, the durations seemed to be based on your druid level. I know back on Moth's my shifter (24ish druid) had a much longer duration on haste than several other shifters who were more minimal druid. Also, Rak ice storms are based on druid level, so why not every other spell?
Back to top Go down
Dalsok
Staff

Shifting and you Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifting and you   Shifting and you Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 10:21 pm

Icestorm is calculated on Druid + shifter lvls.
Back to top Go down
Miins

Shifting and you Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifting and you   Shifting and you Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 11:51 pm

I really hope its first and foremost based on Shifter lvls and not druid levels.
Back to top Go down
J. Persinne
Staff

Shifting and you Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifting and you   Shifting and you Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 12:03 am

Most shifter spells are based off of the level of your casting class; generally speaking, this is going to be your druid level.

When shifted, Ice Storm progression checks both your druid and shifter levels, as Dal mentioned. A Druid 10/Shifter 20 and a Druid 20/Shifter 10 will do the same damage with Ice Storms in Rakshasha shape (though the latter will have better spell penetration). Nature's Balance and Aura of Vitality are also scripted to check for shifter levels, but none of the other spells are, as far as I'm aware.
Back to top Go down
Miins

Shifting and you Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifting and you   Shifting and you Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 12:53 am

In other words a pure shifter is a very stupid thing to be......lol good going there.
Back to top Go down
Thonil
Staff
Thonil

Shifting and you Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifting and you   Shifting and you Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 2:47 am

I'm not going to disagree with you that pure shifter is stupid (But thats why the magical NWN engine lets you take 3 classes and not 2), I'm afraid you cant just make any old pure build by hitting the recommended button and be as good as everyone else - it may require alittle thought and planning :O.

But you do get better DC by going more shifter, and more bonus feats.

Personally, I dont like the way duration on some things is really long, I prefer much more this way - mainly because it discourages a shift and buff mentality, which doesnt paticularly feel very shifterry to me. (Hi I'm a kobold with psionic abilities which is why I have an illithid buff on *Cheesy thumbs up*. I also sing and stuff.)
Back to top Go down
Miins

Shifting and you Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifting and you   Shifting and you Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 9:30 am

Well dont think Ive seen that many shifters actually use there innate shapes buffs to actually buff unless they happen to be in that shape. Considering all the items have a much longer duration.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shifting and you Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shifting and you   Shifting and you Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shifting and you
Page 1 of 1