Anphillia Exodus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anphillia Exodus

NWN 1 Faction roleplay PW using CEP v2.3

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Scheduled server reboots

Go down 
+3
Smoky
J. Persinne
nipsumyy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
nipsumyy

Scheduled server reboots Empty
PostSubject: Scheduled server reboots   Scheduled server reboots Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 4:32 am

I suggest scheduled server reboots at least 2x per day. I'm sure you all agree that the server has been extremely laggy for few days now and it could've been prevented with few reboots per day. I've heard that now the server host reboots the server manually whenever he is online/home/and the server gets laggy.

If you are concerned about the major rp events going on the server and how it would be disturbed by the server reboots. Ofc you can easily switch the reboot script off.

Btw is the server running on dedicated server machine/and on what OS/and what kind of a connection we have to server?
Back to top Go down
J. Persinne
Staff

PostSubject: Re: Scheduled server reboots   Scheduled server reboots Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 5:10 am

I agree that some scheduled reboots would be great, but it would take a bit of work to set up. That's not to say it won't ever happen, but it won't happen now.

The lag on the server had been a bit of a problem, but a lot of this was due to a few little issues that we've since cleaned up. Yesterday's boot wasn't perfect, but it seemed far better to me; for the most part, while I was playing, it was at least reasonably smooth. (And today's boot should smooth things out even a little more, I imagine.)

I don't know the details of the server offhand, but I know that it's running on a decent machine on a connection that I'm frankly jealous of. FrostWolf will have to tell you more, if he cares to share.

For what it's worth, I'm fairly certain that the server machine is not the problem though. Again, we're making improvements, and the general consensus seems to be that it's getting better (though we're still not quite perfect yet).
Back to top Go down
Smoky

Smoky

PostSubject: Re: Scheduled server reboots   Scheduled server reboots Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 12:26 pm

Yesterday it was a pain, even close after the reboot, but this morning even tho the server been up for a very long time it wasent to laggy, it really improved.
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Server Admin
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Scheduled server reboots   Scheduled server reboots Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 4:38 pm

Scheduling reboots is something that is rather time consuming, im not always about and not always near my computer. I try my best to aim for a reboot within the 8-10 hour range each time, there has been at some point where i had to let the server be up for 13 hours straight but thats how things can be at times.

I have sleeping problems, quite severe ones i might add, so i am tired very often and sleep a little now and then or whenever i can. Wich makes the notion of a scheduled reboot rather hard but as i said, im trying and i will keep trying to reboot before i go to sleep, and when i wake up.

Im sure the lagmonster will be subdued in time but please remember that J is currently hunting it down, throwing in fixes whenever he finds something that causes lag wich is quite often mind you. Also one thing more, we have not been up a month yet, this is a brand new server so please have patience.

Instead of complaining about the lag how about you give a big Huzzah to the people working day and night on this ~Points at J~ He usually works himself to near death trying to find these bugs, doing improvements and whatnot wich he constantly sends me to update the module with! We are doing all we can, we dislike lag as much as you do and the staff also play on Exodus, please remember that.

So instead, be happy that we have a server that i am providing and spending my free time on to keep it up to date and fresh just to give you all, including me, a nice place to play and have fun.
Back to top Go down
https://anphillia.forumotion.com/
nipsumyy

PostSubject: Re: Scheduled server reboots   Scheduled server reboots Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 3:31 am

That's totally not what I meant. The point was to create a simple script that reboots the server on a certain time of day automatically. This would prevent the 15h lag sessions and also make the hosts personal life a bit easier. Its not a complaint, its a constructive suggestion to make everyone enjoy playing as much as possible. That is exactly what it would provide.

Hope you will take building up server reboot script to consideration. I don't see any major problem with this and I know its commonly used and working fine.
Back to top Go down
Rugnarie

Rugnarie

PostSubject: Re: Scheduled server reboots   Scheduled server reboots Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 3:35 am

*gives a big Huzaah!*
Well done guys, thanks for making me addicted again -.- hehe

Frosty, try shot or two of whisky. Works for me!
Back to top Go down
J. Persinne
Staff

PostSubject: Re: Scheduled server reboots   Scheduled server reboots Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 3:52 am

Yeah, I know what you mean, nipsumyy. It will be taken into consideration. Smile
Back to top Go down
radioasd

PostSubject: Re: Scheduled server reboots   Scheduled server reboots Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 4:23 am

I like the idea of scheduled boots. There have been some lag recently, but after reboot things have gone smoothly. If its possible to make a script, as said above, or something like that, I think that the problem would be solved.

I have seen many servers working with scheduled boots, why wouldn't this one work.
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Server Admin
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Scheduled server reboots   Scheduled server reboots Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 6:18 am

nipsumyy wrote:
Btw is the server running on dedicated server machine/and on what OS/and what kind of a connection we have to server?

The server is running on a dedicated server machine for the sole purpose of NWN, wich in kind uses Windows XP and has a 100/100mbit internet connection.
Back to top Go down
https://anphillia.forumotion.com/
DeathWarding420

PostSubject: Re: Scheduled server reboots   Scheduled server reboots Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 7:19 am

I started playing a week or so after the launch of the server. From then to now ive seen alot of improvments regarding the server's lag issues. And for only being up a few week's now there has been quite the bit changed. I wanna thank all of the building/modding team here for all your effort on making things easier on the players to play here. Keep in mind nipsumyy if your from the U.S you may have more lag then most everyone else whom lives closer to the host. The server if im not mistaken is hosted in sweden, there for since I live in the U.S heh, lag is my worst enemie. But I hope to keep seeing extra changes to reduce the lag for us, and thanks and keep up the good work team Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dack

PostSubject: Re: Scheduled server reboots   Scheduled server reboots Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 3:55 pm

The issue with this for those of you suggesting a "simple script" is that the script is not so simple at all. Getting a server to reboot at a specific time is easy. To accomplish this applications are forced to exit however, and you probably don't want the Server forced to exit in the middle of saving your characters because if that happens it will corrupt a good portion of the character files. Not a big deal if backups are turned on, but no one likes having to dig out and replace the .bics with backups on a regular basis.

So you have to weigh the time taken to write a complex script that will ensure the server shuts down completely and properly and then restart vs all that time being spent on something far more interesting to both you and the admins like new content/areas/bug fixes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scheduled server reboots   Scheduled server reboots Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scheduled server reboots
Page 1 of 1