Anphillia Exodus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anphillia Exodus

NWN 1 Faction roleplay PW using CEP v2.3

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

XP loss on death

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SteelCat

SteelCat

XP loss on death Empty
PostSubject: XP loss on death   XP loss on death Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 6:20 am

4 words. I don't like it. Evil or Very Mad
I don't think there should be any xp loss on death.

I understand that it is supposed to make people "fear" death and play more carefully but it also introduces many more annoying problems:

1) It makes people a lot less outgoing.
2) It forces them to farm the same areas they feel confident about over and over and over again.
3) If you gain a level in a difficult place you have second thoughts about actually pressing the "Level Up" button cause you will lose more xp if you level up and die.
4) Getting that lost xp back feels like getting another day job...
5) And on top of that it just ruins a good mood.

In WoW there is an excellent death system, for anyone that is not familiar with it. You spawn as a ghost at the nearest graveyard and go look for your corpse. If you don't want to you can resurrect right away and suffer a resurrection sickness. Maybe leave the ghost part alone but instead of xp loss you could suffer this "resurrection sickness" which gives X penalty to your stats for Y hours or something like that.

For your consideration, would like to hear some opinions.
Back to top Go down
Thonil
Staff
Thonil

XP loss on death Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP loss on death   XP loss on death Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 6:41 am

Hehe, you're not supposed to like it.

Quote :
3) If you gain a level in a difficult place you have second thoughts about actually pressing the "Level Up" button cause you will lose more xp if you level up and die.

XP gain / loss is governed by how much xp you have, not what level you are (To prevent a bunch of exploits like that one.)

In WoW You also suffer durability loss on equipment, which you need to repair, which costs gold - which can be compared to XP (Since they both cost a player 'time' to obtain).

Now, the attribute reduction effect would cause a player to have to 'wait' before they can do anything. On the one hand, a player could log out and go do some dishes without losing any time at all - though this doesnt make death scary at all and would cause a variety of problems. We could perhaps make it persistant and only degrade when a player is logged on - but then it amounts to the same thing as losing xp.

Death costs you time (With both systems), so we'd be doing a whole lot to get back to exactly where we are now.
Back to top Go down
SteelCat

SteelCat

XP loss on death Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP loss on death   XP loss on death Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 7:02 am

Thonil wrote:

XP gain / loss is governed by how much xp you have, not what level you are (To prevent a bunch of exploits like that one.)
Ok, scratch that one out.

Thonil wrote:

In WoW You also suffer durability loss on equipment, which you need to repair, which costs gold - which can be compared to XP (Since they both cost a player 'time' to obtain).
Yes, but you can choose to go look for your corpse without any penalty at all.

Thonil wrote:

Now, the attribute reduction effect would cause a player to have to 'wait' before they can do anything.
The effect doesn't have to be a completely disabling -50 on all attributes.

Thonil wrote:

On the one hand, a player could log out and go do some dishes without losing any time at all... - though this doesnt make death scary at all...
Ofcourse it will be scary. Because you will know that if you die you will have to go and wash the dishes!

Thonil wrote:

We could perhaps make it persistant and only degrade when a player is logged on - but then it amounts to the same thing as losing xp.
Death costs you time (With both systems), so we'd be doing a whole lot to get back to exactly where we are now.
It's not just time you lose. You lose a lot of your nerves knowing you have to kill yet -another- 500 ancient bears to get that stupid level you lost.
Back to top Go down
Thonil
Staff
Thonil

XP loss on death Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP loss on death   XP loss on death Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 7:27 am

No penalty on death is never going to happen, there has to be something - otherwise death becomes meaningless and noone cares about doing silly things. (So their's a no to the ghost thing. Also, when you die in wow your durability goes down, and it costs you gold to repair it, which costs time. I thought I said this? Razz)

If there was a death after-effect it'd have to be disabling, otherwise what would be the point in having it at all?
Back to top Go down
Rugnarie

Rugnarie

XP loss on death Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP loss on death   XP loss on death Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 8:31 am

Heh, it's not that hard to stay alive. Just pick the fights you can win...Things gonna turn out easy for you!
Back to top Go down
J. Persinne
Staff

XP loss on death Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP loss on death   XP loss on death Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 8:53 am

Death sucks. But. Pick your fights carefully and you'll find it plenty avoidable. Or don't pick your fights carefully, and you'll still probably come out ahead anyway, thanks to the experience you receive just for being logged in.

We've already toned down experience loss a bit from the mod this one was based off of, and we don't feel it's necessary to go any lower. Yeah, death isn't fun; but if you're playing with at least a reasonable amount of caution, chances are it'll count for a very, very small amount of experience loss in the long run.
Back to top Go down
Cryptic
Staff

XP loss on death Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP loss on death   XP loss on death Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 10:48 am

Please don't take this the wrong way, but seeing you guys in action I'm not surprised you die a little more often than you'd like - I mean jeez, some of you guys were fighting renders when you were below level 20; Under level 10s attempting to charm ancient dire bears!

I've frequently had to abandon Cleaven groups simply because there seems to be an air of entitlement - as if you deserve to do well in an area just because there's more than two of you. There's no shame in staying within areas you can actually manage. If you get in with good people you can really enjoy yourself and have a lot of fun RPing the same ol' boring areas!

Just have fun with it. Rupert will thank you! Smile
Back to top Go down
SteelCat

SteelCat

XP loss on death Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP loss on death   XP loss on death Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 10:58 am

Cryptic wrote:
Just have fun with it. Rupert will thank you! Smile

Hey, Rupert got my back on this one....

And you can actually own renders at level 15 with a mindflayer shape, but don't tell anyone.
Back to top Go down
Rugnarie

Rugnarie

XP loss on death Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP loss on death   XP loss on death Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 11:30 am

Well...Renders can be owned basically by any caster with stun spells, having some strong summon by their side(IX minimal).
I have to agree with Cryptic, I think you people lack some battle tactics and self-preserve sense.
I can still hear in my head Iron Maiden - "Run to da hills, run for yer lives!!" by Johann Frederiksen @ Whispering glade '09...
Seriously. If 6 Grand druids show in front of you, sure, go try get 'em. If you can't take them within first minute, run!

But on the other hand, doing things in groups is much much easier than soloing things. So try to have as much class-colorful party as possible, and I guarantee you, you not gonna die that easily. (Tank/bard-meleer-mage-healer) is a wonderful combination!
Back to top Go down
Cryptic
Staff

XP loss on death Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP loss on death   XP loss on death Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 11:31 am

SteelCat wrote:
And you can actually own renders at level 15 with a mindflayer shape, but don't tell anyone.

[Folds arms, head tilted, eyebrows raised, lets out a sigh]
Back to top Go down
SteelCat

SteelCat

XP loss on death Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP loss on death   XP loss on death Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 5:51 pm

Cryptic wrote:

[Folds arms, head tilted, eyebrows raised, lets out a sigh]

*grumbles mindlessly while slowly lolloping back and forth in bewilderment*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

XP loss on death Empty
PostSubject: Re: XP loss on death   XP loss on death Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

XP loss on death
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Anphillia Exodus :: Anphillia OOC Forum :: Feedback-