Anphillia Exodus

NWN 1 Faction roleplay PW using CEP v2.3

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Project

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheMothMan

New Project Empty
PostSubject: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 4:48 am

Hello all.

How's everyone doing?
I hope you all had a great summer and all that jazz. Smile

With the end of the summer comes more time inside (and infront of the computer/TV or whatever) and I've had a great deal of time to think about a new project I wanna do and spend the coming cold days and night tinkering with.

I've started work on this new MOD last week and added the basics, HCR2 and CEP 2.2 and so on, and I'm looking for two things:
Some help and a gauge do see if there is any interest left for this game in general.

The vision for my MOD is a Teambased RP/PvP setting on a huge valley (currently called Valley of Titans because I'm soooo creative) with two factions duking it out.
Sounds familiar? Smile
Well, while the main theme is rather 'used' I'm envisioning some huge differances.
Mainly the ability to put together a team as a single player, using up to five henchmen.
So it would really be more of a squad-based experience seen from a single players PoV with the ability to merge other players squads (the multiplayer side of the MOD) into larger squads.

As you progress in levels, so does your henchmen and you get the ability to have more of them by your side.
You can compose your own squad loadout using different types of henchmen, compensating for their strengths and weaknesses.
Compose a squad that's focused on melee or maybe range. Or maybe make a well balanced squad with one hencemen of each "cast".
Or take the role as the support or healing squad in a larger group of other players squads, each with their own composition of squadmembers.
So success would come down to not only your build and role in a group, but your squad loadout aswell, increasing the diversity of each class/role immensely.

As for the layout of the MOD I envision one large area (for many reasons it will acctually be two big areas) as a hub for all other areas - The Valley of Titans (with a north and a south area). Via this hub you can reach all the other areas on the MOD with relative ease.
Eliminating long travel times to get to places and also helping eliminating the feeling of being "alone", as all traffic will happened in the main starting area of the MOD - the North or South side of the Valley. Which also happeneds to be where the two main bases are.

So while the MOD would have much to explore, player would often run into other players as all adventuring and warmongering will start out from your sides main area.

I plan to build the MOD from scratch but "steal" many of the ideas from my other MODs, mainly from Genesis.
Still everything will be build from the bottom up and documented from the get-go.
This will help bring a more comprahensive MOD as far as changes go and not be a MOD with a system build upon another system that is build upon another system and so on.

Needless to say this is a lot of work and I'm curious to see, as I mentioned in the beginning of this post, if there is an interest to play and help out on a MOD like this.

I'm sorry for making such a obvious shameless plug on another MOD's forum but I know you guys and you know me. So it seemed like a logical place to make this post.
If any of the establishment is offended by this post, please feel free to delete it. I will understand. Smile

Have a good one!

-TheMothMan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
linken

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 2:25 am

got two quick questions

will the ones helping out be able to play chars?

not that this affect me since i dont know any scripiting and what not Twisted Evil

then what crafting system will you implement?

I like to craft but ats aint a good one to add your own items to is it, so would be good to have another one or make your own
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMothMan

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 1:42 pm

I'm mostly looking for people to help with the design of the MOD, as far as areas and "themes" goes.
I'd handle the coding and other stuff myself.

This is of course assuming there is still an interest for this game. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tanis

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 3:44 am

by game you mean NWN overall or just Anphilia?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMothMan

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 6:01 pm

Well, I meant NWN 1.

But after some research into the matter I'm beginning to see that NWN 2 is much more suited for the vision I have for this project.

Mainly due to two factors, the ingame AI settings for henchmen and the auto-download of HAKs and 2da's.
Both will be crucial for what I have in mind for this project.

There are of course many small things aswell, as the GUI customization and inherent blueprint pathing to name a few.
The freedom in the enviroment creation is also nice aswell as the scaling of objects to name two others.

The continuous patching of this once pale game has made it a solid game and with much more options for modders.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrostWolf
Server Admin
FrostWolf

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 10:17 pm

Its still horridly unplayable online... Wich is why almost everyone has reverted back to NWN 2 when it comes to online play. I've been keeping a close eye on NWN 2 myself and i have tried and tried to play it online, even with the latest patches and expansions but its a dead cause. There are very few that likes it these days and i doubt you'd be getting alot of players to a NWN 2 server these days, but i could be wrong. Either way, i wish you well in that new endevaour of yours Moth! ^_^

View user profile https://anphillia.forumotion.com/
TheMothMan

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 10:34 pm

Thanks!

Hmm, I have to admit I never really looked into that part - how it works online.
I've been too busy focusing on the new aspects and options as far as modding goes.

Thanks for pointing this out.
It wouldn't be much point in making a MOD that no ones plays.

If it is indeed unplayable online I have to say that it's a real pitty, seeing how far they taken the game from a modding PoV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrostWolf
Server Admin
FrostWolf

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 11:26 pm

TheMothMan wrote:
Thanks!

Hmm, I have to admit I never really looked into that part - how it works online.
I've been too busy focusing on the new aspects and options as far as modding goes.

Thanks for pointing this out.
It wouldn't be much point in making a MOD that no ones plays.

If it is indeed unplayable online I have to say that it's a real pitty, seeing how far they taken the game from a modding PoV.

I agree! I've desperately tried to get into it whenever a new patch or expansion popped out in hopes that it makes things playable. Sadly that was never the case, the original Anph team spent a very long time on their module only to abandon it again. Their module was awesome, i must say that but... You just could not play it. NWN 1 is by far the best game of its kind and Obsidian did so many mistakes when making the sequel... The Nwn community is hoping for a NWN 3 from Bioware but i doubt that would ever happen, unless the rumours about a NWN online will come to pass..

Anyway, if you do get it to work through some ingenious scripting and whatnot then i'll come and try again. But my tip is to browse through the existing NWN servers and check them out, just to get a feel for things and to see how many there is playing these days.

tanis

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 2:05 am

NWN online is a project that -will- be created, unfortently its not gone be made by bioware OR the other firm. Also i doubt bioware is going to even start on NWN 3 anytime soon, seaing that they have still MassEffect 2 and 3 to finish (2 is olmost done its coming out sometime in the begning of next year) also they are working on dragon age origins and proboly a sequal, i sensirly doubt that nwn 3 if at all will be coming out soon, also seaing from the feed back on the bioware forums it seems most players are sick and tierd of they city of neverwinter and are beging the creaters to create a game other then going on in the city of neverwinter. right anyweys NWN1 is still one of the moust liked -free- games with massive multyplayer but its outdated by far and even the really grate patches cant seem to give it a fresh look. enof gibergaber gaber. BY ALL MEANS DON T DO A SERVER IN NWN2 IT WONT WORK AT ALL....proboly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rann Cora

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 10:14 pm

Bioware has, in order:

Dragon Age Origins (11/3/09)
Mass Effect 2 (3/2010)
and Star Wars: TOR (Hopefully 4Q/2010) to finish before moving on to new projects.
(Not to mention a rumored real KOTOR3, aside from TOR)

Just, think of DAO as the new NWN as it ships with a toolset and everything, though I haven't done much research on it.

Otherwise, just wait for TOR! I mean, DAAAAAAAAAMN! Most exciting thing ever!

Honestly, with my Xbox 360 and newly acquired PS3 Slim, I personally am shying away from PC gaming. Especially with such an outdated rig as mine. Though, I know SW:TOR will change that tune.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tanis

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 1:14 am

as far as i see it, shooting games or games with any kind of shooting + what ever they are, fail on consoles. as for myself im weiting on a few games: Fable 2 for pc (its true its coming out for pc sometime in the 2010) modernwarfare 2 dragone age and mass effect 2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rann Cora

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 6:39 am

Did you -really- just say shooting games fail on a console? Have you -looked- at console games lately? Clearly the smashing successes of Halo 3, the CoD series, Killzone 2, Resistance series, Fallout 3, and the list goes on and on, goes unnoticed by you. If anything, I'd say shooters fail on PC. Simply look at sales figures for say, CoD:MW on any console vs PC. And yes, I'll agree mouse+keyboard = more accurate than controller. But that simply does not mean that the console versions "fail". Also, hacking and cheating is far more prevalent on PC than on the console versions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cryptic
Staff

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 7:32 am

Quote :
I'll agree mouse+keyboard = more accurate than controller.

Which is all that matters.

tanis

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 12:09 am

dude how many servers have you played on COD:MW multiplayer? Iv played on HUNDREDS and meet about three cheaters and hakers, on COD:WAW iv meet 1, the only problem with PC about games is that a lot of them are illigal as we call them in poland "Piret versions". But you CANT compeare mause n key board to the controler espesialy in FPS games seaing that accuresy, speed and presision are really easy to get while using the first two but when it comes to the pad it takes hours to just aim at somone 0o
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rann Cora

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 8:51 am

I work in a game store. I'd say around 60% of the people that have come in and purchased MW in the past year, bought it with intent to hack the game in ways they couldn't do on their 360 or PS3. How do I know? I asked. Granted, there are thousands of people who bought it when it came out who have no intentions of modding the game in any way. However, as I said, about 60% of the people I've sold the game to in the past year have said they intended to modify the game in ways that were impossible on consoles.

Now, as I said, a controller is nowhere near as accurate as a mouse/keyboard combo. However, when it comes to movement, and being quick about the way you move around, I believe the controller has the edge. I just feel faster in terms of movement with a dual analog stick rather than WASD and steering with the mouse. So, which one is better for you, is a matter of your play style. If you're one of those bunny hopping "Halo generation" FPS players, you're going to feel way more comfy with a controller in your hands. Why? Because accuracy isn't as important to you as movement. For all you who like a more strategic, more realistic, more uh... "camper" feel, the mouse and keyboard is a much better choice, because at the range you're going to be fighting, you need the increased accuracy. When using either my PS3 or 360 controller, I have zero problems getting shots and aiming. It sure as hell doesn't take me hours. However, I take a strategy of "stick and move"... whereas when I play with people that I know prefer a mouse and keyboard, they adopt a much slower, more deliberate strategy that involves holding a specific position, or locking down one side of the map, or something along those lines. So again, it all comes down to your play style, and your personal preference.

What I was trying to say, was not that "Consoles > PC zomg ftw"... but that you can't ignore the fact that console games traditionally sell WAY better than PC games. Chalk it up to consumer idiocy, pirating of PC versions, whatever you want... but you can't ignore that and say that any console shooter fails. The market says otherwise.

As an added note, CoD:MW2 Preorders in my store:

XB360: ~180
PS3: ~70
PC: ~25
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tanis

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 9:11 am

*shurgs* i guess your right, well we got totaly off topick dident we?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cryptic
Staff

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 10:15 am

Pfft. You can plug in a console controller to the PC if you really want.

I don't really see sales figures as being relative here though. That doesn't speak for the quality of the gameplay, only that more FPS players use a console. Consoles are cheaper, afterall, and a great deal less can go wrong - surely both these point to the gamers being relatively young and as we all know - kids are f-king stupid! Razz

FrostWolf
Server Admin
FrostWolf

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 5:16 pm

There is an awesome controller out there for the ps3 now thats made for fps games, its far better than mouse and keyboard combined and the reaction speeds on it is quite awesome. And yes you all went WAAY off topic, shush!

Cog

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 4:40 pm

Rann knows the PC i use...lol (god its old but still works fine for what i ask of it)

Soo, to people like me it doesn't matter much which is 'better' I only have one viable choice without a major upgrade to my pc and since I own a decent tv and a comfy couch I'm quite content to use them both for fps gaming *grins*

And console gaming is more ~standardized~ its skill vs skill alone instead of skill vs better setup vs skill in many cases. I *really* hate knowing I just lost at something because my computer couldn't keep up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMothMan

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 10:40 am

Well, in light of the epic failure with NWN 2 online I've decided to begin touching up my MOD again.
Nothing major or anything, but the newest projects can be read about here.

I hope FrostWolf and the gang won't mind me pluggin here, seeing how ya'll decided to shut down Exodus - which is a shame.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

New Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Project   New Project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Project
Page 1 of 1